Pound Hill Junior School is closed to most pupils from Tuesday 5th January except for pupils of critical workers and vulnerable pupils
Please read your parentmail and respond to email@example.com if you wish to request a Critical Worker place.
- Children and adults to enter the school site only for the staggered drop off and pick up times
- only one adult per family on the school site
- Adults to keep to a 2m social distance
- Everyone to wear a face covering to reduce transmission risk on the journey to and from school
Times of the school day
We will be staggering start and finish times for all year groups. This is to reduce the risk of year groups mixing with each other. The school gate will be opened for 5 minutes at each start time. if this time is missed then please wait with the next year group - no late marks until 9am. Pupils and parents will not be allowed onto the school site until 2 minutes before the start time to line up along the pathway. Unfortunately the school is currently unable to supervise pupils outside of these times.
Entering the school site Mr White and Miss Hatton will be by the bike shed to help you
We will be limiting entry to the school site. This is to reduce the risk of both parents and children mixing and to limit the exposure to multiple families across the week.
Everyone enters via the front entrance There will be school staff in high vis jackets at the front of the school to help you
Everyone lines up along the path and down the drive following appropriate social distancing
Children walk along the zig-zag pathway at the side of the school where year group staff will be there to direct them
Parents leave via the carpark path being aware of any additional traffic and keeping to the marked pathways
Back gate not to be used. This may be open and used by the Infant Academy but there is no access to the Junior School.
Joining gate between Infant Academy not to be used. This will be locked. Please do not use any other access to the school site other than the front gate and up the drive
No waiting in playground
- Do not walk through the carpark to go between the Infant Academy and the Junior School for your safety
- Face coverings may be worn to and from school but will need to be removed when entering the classroom - as per Government Guidelines.
End of the school day Mr White and Miss Hatton will be by the bike shed to help you
We will again be limiting entry to the school site. This is to reduce the risk of both parents and children mixing and to limit the exposure to multiple families across the week.
Everyone enters and leaves by the front entrance
Parents queue up along the carpark path and down the drive. Not along the pathway
Parents enter via the large gate and wait, socially distanced, by the bike shed
Children leave school and walk down the the zig-zag pathway
Everyone leaves via the pathway
Children do not leave via carpark
Back gate not to be used
Joining gate between Infant Academy not to be used
No waiting in playground
We will not be able to offer tuck for the children to buy due to the current procedures to protect everyone during the Covid pandemic. Please bring a healthy snack for the morning - fruit & vegetables, plain biscuits etc.
Pound Hill Junior School COVID-19 Planing
Taken from “Guidance for full opening – schools” 28th August 2020:
- The risk to children becoming severely ill from coronavirus (COVID-19) is very low
- It is not possible to ensure a totally risk-free environment
- All children in all years return to school full-time from September
- Essential measures include:
- A requirement that people who are ill stay at home
- Robust hand and respiratory hygiene
- Enhanced cleaning arrangements
- Active engagement with NHS Test and Trace
- Formal consideration of how to reduce contacts and maximise distancing between those in school wherever possible and minimise the potential for contamination so far as is reasonably practicable
- Grouping children together
- Avoiding contact between groups
- Arranging classrooms with forward facing desks
- Staff maintaining distance from pupils and other staff as much as possible
- Primary school children will not need to wear a face covering
Rationale for Planning
- Classes will remain as pods within the year group bubble but will increase in size to 30.
- Each Year group will become a separate bubble
- 2m social distancing is not relevant to the pupils within each pod
- Contact across year group bubbles is reduced to 15 minutes or less and only when absolutely necessary
- Contact outside of pods and bubbles is minimised (preferably no contact)
School Learning Procedures
- 2m social distancing is relevant for adults (between other adults and children)
- Classroom and small group close contact (less than 1m) should be minimised and restricted
- Pupils will used lockers for coats, bags (only where necessary) and PE kits
- All desks will face the front with space for the teacher to move between board and desk
- Outdoor spaces will be used where possible
- All subject will be taught with a focus on basic skills, maths and English
- Teachers will mark work
- Equipment will be cleaned after use
- Pupils with EHCPs should receive support as normal
- All teachers and other staff can operate across different classes pods and year groups bubbles
- No large gathering such as assemblies or lunch with more than one bubble
- Supply teachers can be employed
- Peripatetic (music etc) teachers can move between schools
- Visitors such as therapists and clinicians for pupils with SEND should continue as normal
Contingency Planning for a Local Outbreak
In the event of a local outbreak the health protection team or local authority may advise Pound Hill Junior School to close temporarily to help control transmission. There may be other schools given the same advice alongside other measure implemented by the Government. The school has a contingency plan for this eventuality. Following advice from the health protection team the school:
- May temporarily close fully or remain open for vulnerable children and the children of critical workers.
- Will provide remote education for all other pupils which
- Will be based on the expected year group learning for the missed weeks
- Includes high quality offline and online resources and teaching videos
- Uses consistent online delivery tools
- Sets learning activities that are appropriate, meaningful and ambitious in a number of different subjects
- Will be delivered and explained by a year group teacher within the school or through high-quality curriculum resources or videos
- Provides feedback and marking to support ongoing development of new learning
- Will communicate with parents through established methods
Everything we have planned follows current Government guidance and is designed to keep our children safe and minimise risk of contact and infection. These changes to the school day will remain in place until further guidance is given either by central Government or West Sussex County Council. We will share any changes with you as soon as we have planned them.
Thank you for your continued cooperation and support during these difficult times.
We always look forward to seeing you.
Mr A White Headteacher
Miss A Hatton Deputy Headteacher
The governors, staff, children and I would like to welcome you to our school website. We are all extremely proud of our school and hope that you find a flavour of who we are in these pages.
We are a school that believes in being positive both towards each other and towards ourselves. We all take pride in our appearance, attitude to learning and how we strive to do the best we can. Across the school and in everything we do there is a culture of self-improvement and celebration of effort which allows everyone to succeed. We ensure that this success is celebrated both privately in books and publically in assemblies.
Everyone has ownership of their education and each child drives their own learning forward whilst being part of a supportive and supported class who help each other through team work and discussion.
Our curriculum promotes enquiry and challenge giving all pupils opportunities to broaden and deepen their understanding and skills in both new areas and different situations. This linking of themes and knowledge strengthens understanding and gives children courage to think deeply and not just around a single concept.
We have a strong focus on basic skills and know that by supporting children to develop these they can use them to understand more challenging concepts. The children are supported to use precise and technical vocabulary to explain what they have done and this helps them apply knowledge in a wider variety of situations. We know that every child has the capacity to learn, make progress and succeed in all of their learning.
Pound Hill Junior School remains committed to a broad education and strongly believes that good teaching and learning across all the subjects will ensure outcomes that match ours, yours and above all the child’s own aspirations.